Health is important in human development, but unfortunately in Peru it is very difficult to access it and it is even more difficult for poor people. Therefore Expand Peru has created the medical volunteer program, through which the volunteer helps children and adults in different areas of specialized assistance. This program is aimed at professionals and students from different areas of medical sciences.
In hospitals, rural medical assistance centers and in the different help centers of our organization: Project House, Rural Schools, Schools of Special Education, Baby House, Children with HIV, Orphanage, etc.
Our project is aimed at improving the health status of children in our different projects. We believe that a good state of health is vital for good academic performance and development as a person, that is, to provide these children with a quality early childhood. In addition, we are not only satisfied with reaching these children, we want to reach their families, mothers, fathers, brothers and especially their grandparents.
Therefore, our new project is based on three basic pillars:
- We affiliate the children of the CASA project and do a general physical examination guaranteeing the minimum recommended by international organizations. We place special emphasis on the primary and secondary prevention of deficiency anemia, especially prevalent in our area. Each child is treated individually and we study their particular case and their social context.
- On the other hand, we are especially aware of children with Cerebral Palsy and focus a part of this project towards them. We actively look for children in the community with this disease and help the families in their care. Many of these families have never received more help since diagnosis and do not have the necessary information or means to deal with such a problem.
- The elderly is one of the most vulnerable, isolated and forgotten populations in our region. We integrate older adults who live within the families of the children of the CASA project into the project, in which, through very simple and affordable intervention measures, we can reverse conditions that measure their quality of life and represent a disability. The objectives of this branch of the project are the realization of a Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment, and subsequently the detection, correction and monitoring of malnutrition, frailty and sarcopenia.
HEALTH PROMOTION Project:
- Through infographics and based on the principles of graphic medicine, we explain to the population their diseases, which are often not well understood, either because of a low socio-cultural level or because they are Quechua-speaking.
Students from any branch of the Health Sciences can participate in this project. We want the assessment and approach to these people to be integral and therefore we welcome students of Medicine, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dentistry, Psychology, Podiatry … in order to enrich the project with ideas from as many points of view as possible.
In addition, we always need professionals and medical students from other specialties such as: General practitioners, dermatologists, ophthalmologists, obstetricians, etc.
- Pediatrics: Working with children and their health care is important, in Peru this population is the most neglected, we need professionals who work in prevention, care and control of children from zero to 12 years, in different areas.
- Gynecology: The work is carried out in rural medical assistance centers, hospitals in the city and especially with the mothers of children who benefit from our different programs. Performing Disease control and attention, sex education talks, disease prevention, birth control, etc.
- Nursing: Talks about disease prevention, injections, healing, home visits, control of the healthy child and his family, etc.
- Dentistry: It serves a very large population made up of children from different aid programs as well as their parents. It includes cures, extraction, oral hygiene, education and prevention, etc.
- Nutrition: These professionals are very important for our organization, remember that we work with young children in extreme poverty and children with HIV. Many of them suffer from malnutrition and other diseases that result from inadequate nutrition. That is why it is necessary the help of nutritionists to develop plans and feeding strategies as well as their monitoring and supervision.
- Psychology: The help of these professionals is important in our different assistance centers to develop educational and social reintegration strategies for children, as well as to solve behavior problems, child abuse, among many other problems.