Health is important in human development, but unfortunately in Peru access to healthcare is limited.. For those in underprivileged communities it is difficult for them to get the care they need. Therefore, Expand Peru has created the medical volunteering program, through which the volunteer helps poor children and adults in different areas of specialized assistance. This program is aimed at professionals and students of different areas of medical sciences.
- In hospitals, rural medical care centers and in different aid centers of our organization: House Project, Rural Schools, Special Education Schools, Babies House, Children with HIV, Orphanage, etc.
- Our project is aimed at improving the health of children who take part in our different projects. We believe that a good state of health is vital for strong academic performance and development as individuals, which in turn provides these children with a quality early childhood. In addition, we are not only satisfied with reaching these children, we want to reach their families, mothers, fathers, siblings and especially their grandparents
Therefore, our new project is based on three basic pillars:
- We affiliate children of the HOUSE project and we do a general physical examination guaranteeing minimums recommended by international organizations. We place special emphasis on primary and secondary prevention of deficiency anemia, which is especially prevalent in our area. Each child is treated individually and we study their particular case and their social context.
- Additionally, we are especially aware of children with Cerebral Palsy and we focus a part of this project towards them. We actively look for children in the community with this disease and help both them and their families . Many of these families have not received help since the diagnosis, and do not have either the information nor necessary means to provide the proper care to their children.
- The elderly is one of the most vulnerable, isolated, and forgotten populations in our region. We integrate the elderly who live within families of children of HOUSE project in the project, in which, through very simple and affordable intervention measures, we can reverse conditions that suppose a disability and improve their quality of life. The objectives of this branch of the project are to carry out a Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment, and later detection, correction and monitoring of malnutrition, frailty, and sarcopenia.
HEALTH PROMOTION Project:
- Through infographics and based on the principles of graphic medicine, we explain to the population their illnesses, which are often not well understood, either due to a low sociocultural level or because they are Quechua speakers.
Besides, we always need medical professionals and students from other specialties such as: General practitioners, dermatologists, ophthalmologists, obstetricians, etc.
- Pediatrics: Working with children and their health care is important. In Peru this population is the most neglected. We need professionals who work in prevention and care of children from zero to 12 years old.
- Gynecology: Work is carried out in rural medical care centers, city hospitals and especially with mothers of children who benefit from our different programs. We carry out disease control and care, sex education talks, disease prevention, birth control, etc.
- Nursing: Talks about disease prevention, giving injections, performing cures, home visits, control of the healthy child and their family, etc.
- Dentistry: A very large population is cared for, made up of children from different aid programs as well as their parents. Cures, extraction, oral hygiene, education and prevention, etc.
- Nutrition: These professionals are very important to our organization, remember that we work with young children in extreme poverty and children with HIV. Many of them suffer from malnutrition and other illnesses that derive from a bad and inadequate diet. For that, help of nutritionists is necessary to develop plans and feeding strategies as well as monitoring and supervision.
- Psychology: Help of these professionals is important in our different assistance centers to develop educational and social reintegration strategies for children, as well as to solve behavioral problems and child abuse among many other problems.
In this project, students from any branch of Health Sciences can participate. We want the assessments and approaches of these people to be comprehensive and therefore we welcome students of Medicine, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dentistry, Psychology, Podiatry ... in order to enrich the project with ideas from the greatest quantity of possible points of view.