The rural populations of the Andes of Peru suffer many problems that are a consequence of poverty and marginalization, but children are always the most affected, they do not have the possibility to enjoy their childhood, to play, learn and develop properly, in addition, since they are born they do not receive adequate food, they grow up exposed to many dangers and diseases, some leave their studies and others are forced to work from a very young age.
Our CASA project works to improve the quality of life of these children and their families, through comprehensive development, giving them good education, nutrition, protection, health care, as well as the opportunity to play and interact with other children in a safe and dignified environment; away from abuse, neglect and child labor.
The “CASA” projects take care of children in response to immediate needs, it is an important resource that helps families organize work with family life. Children come to our project after school and stay for a period of three hours, in which they receive very special attention from different professionals, teachers and volunteers, always within a playful environment.
For this, very varied activities are programmed and in three very specific areas.
Educational: We help in the educational training of children, offering them an alternative to occupy their time in a useful way, learning and improving their cognitive development in a framework of affection and respect.
- We contribute to improving their education by reinforcing the knowledge acquired in school.
- The development of skills and talents, developing creative, recreational and sports activities are promoted, as tools for growth, personal development and improvement of their academic performance.
- Good habits of coexistence and respect, self-esteem and the vision of a better future are strengthened.
- They are given the opportunity to learn languages, develop artistically, play sports, play and many other activities.
- We provide safe spaces to play and meet friends during time alone while parents are at work.
Food and health: We carefully monitor the development of children, their health and that of their family, working mainly on preventive health.
- Every day the children are given a ration of food, according to their nutritional needs.
- Advice and food planning to families are provided.
- Immediate illnesses and problems are treated, emergencies.
- Promotional and awareness campaigns are carried out.
- Home visits are carried out.
- We also attend to other health issues, such as mental and oral health.
Social: Our social worker has identified problems in each family, which we help solve through intervention plans.
- We give workshops to improve family life.
- Family follow-ups and counseling are done.
- Problems of violence and abandonment are identified and solved.
- We develop productive projects and economic entrepreneurship with families.
The CASA project takes care of different aspects in the formation of children, their health and carefully monitors their family environment, for this reason we need a lot of help from different professionals and specialists such as: psychologists, social workers, teachers, free time monitors, sociologists, speech therapists, physical education teachers, etc. As well as artists in different areas: music, theater, declamation, painting, among many others.
But the activities in the project are so diverse that in reality there is space for all the people who want to help, without requiring a specific specialty or study, we simply need the volunteers to have the desire to collaborate, giving their time, joy and much affection for children.