Expand Peru will take charge that you have a very good stay, but keep in mind the following recommendations that will help you plan your stay. If you have any questions please contact us. We will be very happy to help you.
- Communications are guaranteed in areas where EXPAND Peru works. In the city of Huancayo and in all rural towns there are public telephones, internet booths, and good cell phone signal. In addition, in the houses of families and in residence of volunteers there are telephones and Wi-fi. You will have no problems communicating with your country of origin.
- Within the city and in rural areas there is a varied network of public transport. In a few minutes you can go from residential areas to the city center.It should be noted that we are not talking about a system like the one that exists in your country. It is definitely very different and has many peculiarities.
- The climate is varied in Peru and depends a lot on season. In Huancayo the climate is very characteristic of the Andes, with rains during months of November to April and very dry between May and October. From December to March, temperatures range from 21° C (70° F) to 27° C (80° F). In the months of February and March, temperatures range from 10° C (50° F) to 16° C (60° F).
- If you are vegetarian or have a special diet, let us know in advance. We will select an appropriate family and coordinate everything correctly. It is important that your stay is pleasant so that you can do your job well.
- It is very important what clothes you should bring because the weather can change in minutes. It is said that in a single day we have the 4 seasons of the year (summer, winter, spring and autumn), xo you have to be prepared. Bring a rain jacket. and comfortable clothes because sometimes it is necessary to walk to take public transport, run, and participate in activities with the children.
- Life is cheap in Peru, so here you can find everything at a very good price. Fares for you to move within the city vary between .50 and .80 cents. A taxi does not cost more than 1.80/2.00 USD. Travel to rural areas cost a similar amount.
- Peru is generally a safe country, and Huancayo is one of the safest cities in Peru. Our organization strives to ensure that all volunteers have a safe experience.We do not work in dangerous places and a volunteer never d works alone. Volunteers are always accompanied by members of our organization or by other volunteers.
- A lunch in a good restaurant costs around 2.00 USD.
Banks and exchange houses:
- You will not have problems accessing your account or withdrawing money while in Peru. There are many banks with ATMs, as well as very safe exchange houses (You can exchange euros or dollars without inconvenience).
Health - Medical Service:
- Expand Peru has friendly doctors who share with us a concern for the safety and health of volunteers; they will help you as soon as you feel any discomfort. You will always be able to count on our help and assistance.
- It is not necessary to get vaccinated to live in the city of Huancayo, as the mountain climate is very healthy and there are no endemic diseases. However, for volunteers who wish to visit the jungle on their days off, the yellow fever vaccine is necessary. Make sure to discuss this with your doctor before you come.
The altitude (Huancayo, 3270 m.a.s.l.):
- This can affect you in different ways, but above all, the altitude may be noticeable after eating. It can slow down your digestion and make you feel slightly sick. Be careful with meals during your first few days,and then you can enjoy the delicious and varied Peruvian food.
- Another problem caused by altitude is mountain sickness. The symptoms usually include a headache and general malaise. However, do not worry. It is very common and can be treated easily by resting and drinking water with coca leaf infusions.